Carney hungry to make impression


Nanjing Night Net

David Carney in action during Jets training at Ray Watt Oval on Monday. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

DAVID Carney feels like a new man.

What’s more the Jets winger is determined to make up for lost time – starting with the FFA Cup battle against Perth Glory at Magic Park on Tuesday night.

The round-of-32 knockout clash is Carney’s first competitive game since the Jets were pummelled 7-0 by Adelaide United in round 16 of the A-League on January 24.

The former Socceroo was one of five senior players exiled by then owner Nathan Tinkler and former coach Phil Stubbins, and spent the rest of the season in the grandstand.

‘‘I’m hungry,’’ Carney said.

‘‘I didn’t like sitting out of the squad last year. It hurt, especially when I felt like I could have played a part for the team.

‘‘That is all in the past now.

‘‘Training has been good. The gaffer [Scott Miller] and [assistant] JP have been fantastic.

‘‘I’m really itching to get out there. Hopefully, I can have a good game tomorrow and build on it for the first game of the season.’’

Carney, now 31, is off contract and understands that a poor campaign could spell the end of his A-League career. ‘‘I like pressure,’’ Carney said. ‘‘It keeps me on my toes, keeps me fighting and keeps me motivated to do well.

‘‘It’s all down to me. If I am not doing well, I only have myself toblame. I still feel like I can play a big part for Newcastle and the lads.’’

Carney has been impressed with the ‘‘vibe’’ at training under the new management but believed the final two additions to the playing roster will determine how high the Jets can climb.

‘‘Training has been really good, really intense and the improvement, especially from some of the younger boys has been good,’’ Carney said.

“The preparation has been spot on but we definitely need two or three quality players, there’s no question.

‘‘Especially after last year letting some good young players go like Hooley [Andrew Hoole] and Craig Goodwin and Connor Chapman. You need to keep those young players and build your squad around them with experienced Australian and quality overseas players.

“At the minute, there’s sort of a rebuilding phase because we let a lot of good young players go last year which we shouldn’t have.”

The Glory are also rebuilding after the salary cap controversy which cost them a place in the finals last season.

“They’ve still got a good squad,’’ Carney said. ‘‘They’ve lost a couple of key players there’s no doubt but they’ll be still very competitive.

“There are a lot of big boys so we’ll have to be switched on, especially from set pieces.

“Hopefully we can put in a good shift and play some good football while we’re there.’’

● Melbourne City have continued their prolific A-League off-season recruitment by signing Uruguayan forward Bruno Fornaroli, 27.

He began his career alongside Barcelona superstar and countryman Luis Suarez as a teenager in Uruguay.

The diminutive forward has played in Argentina, Greece, Spain and Italy since, returning to his home to win two Uruguayan titles.

Fornaroli joins Socceroo Ivan Franjic, Steve Kuzmanovski, Corey Gameiro, Harry Novillo, Michael Zullo, Wade Dekker and Aaron Hughes on a beefed-up City playing list for the new season. with AAP

Comments are closed.