Hundreds get proof of identity

IMPORTANT DOCUMENT: UNE Enactus co-ordinator Koady Humphreys and The Minimbah Project national co-ordinator Will Winter at the birth certificate sign-up day at TRECC. Photo: Barry Smith 060815BSB01A WOMAN who walked more than two-and-a-half hours to get hold of her legal identity document was among the hundreds of people at a recent birth certificate sign-up in Tamworth.
Nanjing Night Net

More than 400 people are expected to receive their certificate for free after the session during the Tamworth Homeless Connect Day at TRECC.

Spokesman Will Winter said there had been 240 applications on the day, and another 200 were expected to come through in the next few weeks.

He said one of the applicants had walked a great distance to get her birth certificate so she could then obtain her driver’s licence.

“There is a whole host of reasons why people don’t have them,” Mr Winter said.

“Cost is a really significant factor for people who are otherwise struggling with household budgets.

“We sometimes get families of four or up to nine – it’s a significant cost, at $51, a big impediment.”

However, Mr Winter said other factors could include poor literacy; shorter hospital stays after births, meaning parents don’t have time to get help with the forms; and a separation between registering a birth and ordering a birth certificate.

“Four years later, bub becomes ready for school and they then need that registration process, which is a complex thing to go through,” Mr Winter said.

He is the national co-ordinator of The Minimbah Project, which, along with UNE Enactus and Pathfinders, staffed the day.

Volunteers travel widely to help people apply for a free certificate.

“It’s a locally grown solution to the national – and in fact, international – issue of the lack of legal identification,” Mr Winter said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Continue reading

Wests Tigers trip up Raiders

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA – AUGUST 10: Sisa Waqa of the Raiders passes the ball during the round 22 NRL match between the Canberra Raiders and the Wests Tigers at GIO Stadium on August 10, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. (Photo by Stefan Postles/Getty Images)RUGBY LEAGUE
Nanjing Night Net

Canberra’s hopes of an NRL finals berth are hanging by a thread, after going down 20-18 to Wests Tigers at GIO Stadium on Monday night.

Needing to win at least four of their remaining five games, the Raiders failed to hold off a resurgent Tigers outfit who have now claimed back-to-back wins for the first time since the opening two rounds.

A first-half double to prop Shannon Boyd and the late inclusion of influential hooker Josh Hodgson wasn’t enough to inspire the home side.

The disappointing result was only made worse with veteran David Shillington sent off in the dying seconds of his 200th NRL appearance for an alleged headbutt on NSW enforcer Aaron Woods.

Seemingly still riding high from last week’s upset win over Melbourne, the Tigers looked sharp and dangerous throughout the match.

Fullback James Tedesco again took control and, with the help of halfback Luke Brooks, set up Sauaso Sue for their first try in the 14th minute.

The Raiders threatened to bite back quickly, but thwarted their chances with a handful of errors.

It was through Boyd they eventually found the points, the 122kg prop using his brute strength to cross in the 27th minute and again just before half-time for a 12-4 lead.

Tedesco started the second spell scoring and in the 63rd minute the Tigers hit the lead via a converted try by Pat Richards.

Wighton and Hodgson then combined to set up skipper Jarrod Croker to put the Raiders ahead.

However, Brooks scored in the closing 10 minutes to give the Tigers the last laugh.

The Raiders next face Manly at home on Sunday, while the Tigers host Newcastle on Saturday. – AAP

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Continue reading

Computer scammers hold files to ransom

CAUTION: Max Mundy of Codas Computers says be wary of all things on the internet. Picture: Jason Hollister.BUSINESSES and householders have been warned about a new version of an email scam that freezes computer files and holds the files to ransom.
Nanjing Night Net

To protect against the scam, businesses and householders have been told to ensure all their computer files are backed up properly.

Ransomware is a virus that won’t release computer files until a ransom is paid. The new version of the scam is called Cryptowall, which encrypts files so they cannot be read or seen.

The virus infects computers through a credible looking email not sent by the source it appears to have come from.

In most cases a demand is made for payment in Bitcoin because it is virtually untraceable.

Max Mundy, of Codas Computers at Ulverstone, said one person had brought their computer in after being hit by the scam.

“We’ve only had one computer to fix but there are some other hotspots dealing with [the ransomware scam],” Mr Mundy said.

When the Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry was affected by the scam it paid $350 to recover its files.

Mr Mundy said the best advice was to always have computer files backed up no matter what, and to avoid the trap in the first place rather than have to wonder what to do after it happens.

“Don’t go downloading random things, and always be wary with everything on the internet,” Mr Mundy said.

Mr Mundy advised avoiding random emails and watching out for emails that pretended to be sent from other people or other sources.

“Don’t get tricked into downloading programs that are unneeded,” he said.

Mr Mundy said people could bring computers in to have files backed up to an external drive.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Continue reading

Quake forces Renison to stop its production

ANOTHER West Coast mine is in a tight spot, made tighter after an earthquake forced a processing halt.
Nanjing Night Net

The Renison tin mine was already marginal due to low tin prices before the August 2 quake, according to half-owner Metals X Limited’s CEO, Peter Cook.

“We are doing our best to ride through this tough period in the mine and tin industry without impact on people’s livelihoods and the West Coast mining community,” Mr Cook said yesterday.

As well as Renison’s difficulties –

■ The Mt Lyell mine remains closed and a re-opening is not certain;

■ efforts to secure a buyer for the mothballed Avebury nickel mine are continuing, with definite interest after a previous sale deal fell over;

■ the Henty Gold Mine is scheduled to close, although there are hopes an exploration drive will revive it;

■ Savage River miner Grange Resources’ return per tonne of iron ore production went negative in the June quarter; and

■ Henty aside, exploration spending is shrivelling amid lower prices for a range of metals.

Mr Cook said the processing plant at Renison stopped production on Sunday night when the mine ran out of surface stock.

“Production from unaffected areas has continued,” Mr Cook said.

“However, the area where the footwall development was slightly impaired by the seismic event is still under review.”

He said ground support did its job and held all the ground together, and there were no injuries or damage to equipment from the quake.

“However, as a consequence, mining areas below this point remain inaccessible which is significantly impairing productivity.”

Mr Cook said the plant would not operate this week as stock was built up for a re-start, while some scheduled maintenance was being brought forward.

Metals X is now making most of its money from its growing gold division on the mainland, rather than from Tasmanian tin.

The magnitude three quake’s epicentre was about five kilometres west of Rosebery.

MMG’s Rosebery Mine was not affected.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Continue reading

Adventure Playground is credit to everyone involved

Rosemary Milson from Tamworth writes about the Adventure Playground.
Nanjing Night Net

I FEEL moved to write this.

It was a wonderful experience to be one of the volunteer “brigade” who have worked over a period of a week, three shifts a day, to erect the Tamworth Adventure Playground in Endeavour Park.

The park itself is very special asset for the people and visitors of Tamworth.

A park of native vegetation, birds and some animals maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers who work every week maintaining and developing the well-cared-for environs. A delight to visit always.

The Adventure Playground is a vision and plan of Charles Impey, who was instrumental in this when it started five years ago.

He told me the playground committee had been wonderful. He was most grateful to them. It ensured his dream became a reality.

I hear Charles has been fantastic, too. All volunteers were working constantly, but the atmosphere was great. Happy to be productive and sharing the load for something special. Workers ranging in age from the young to, shall we say, more mature, worked, welcomed, constructed, built, laboured, painted and catered.

TAFE allowed their students to participate and work every day.

No doubt they enjoyed using their skills and benefited from this experience.

Businesses were generous giving resources, food and even personnel to assist. The bell went promptly at noon for lunch, breaks for morning and afternoon tea or coffee provided by a business in town.

A very big thank you and a hearty congratulations to all who contributed in anyway. Much generosity of kindness and help has made it an outstanding achievement and an asset, for children, able-bodied and disabled, can safely use this exceptional playground. Well done.

It is a tribute to the spirit ofTamworth.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Continue reading